RMSC: SPACE Fest
*The event has already taken place on this date: Fri, 08/05/2022
Please help us keep this calendar up to date! If this activity is sold out, canceled, or otherwise needs alteration, email firstname.lastname@example.org so we can update it immediately.
Monday, August 1 - Friday, August 5
Every Day | 11am–3pm
Join us for SPACE Fest this summer for a week of discovery and exploration into all things out of this world! Hop on a rocket and journey to far off galaxies, stop at the nearest star and learn more about our place in space. Meet the authors of Sky Play, an adventure story about teamwork, persistence, and a journey to planet Earth. Hands-on activities include making nebula art, launching stomp rockets, searching for life on other planets, playing Hide & Seek Moon, "driving" a Mars Rover, and more!
PRE-PURCHASE MUSEUM ADMISSION
SPACE Fest activities are included in museum admission. You can purchase your Museum admission online in advance, or in-person at the door.
*This ticket is for Museum general admission only. Tickets to Planetarium shows must be purchased separately.
OUT OF THIS WORLD ACTIVITIES
- Nebula Spin Art: learn about gigantic clouds of gas and dust in space that form nebulas, then create your own unique colorful model of a nebula.
- Mini Planetariums: Create a mini planetarium and learn about constellations (a group of stars that look like a particular shape in the sky and have been given a name), then attend a show in real life at the Strasenburgh Planetarium!
- Make Alien Headbands & Imagine Life on Other Planets: Tap into your imagination to draw an extreme environment beyond earth, then invent a living being that could thrive in it.
- Solar System VR Experience: Explore the International Space Station and our Solar System virtually.
- Stomp Rockets: Build and launch your own air rockets to help imagine the challenges and triumphs of engineering spacecraft to launch into space.
- Hide & Seek Moon: Experiment with tools scientists use to study objects that are very, very far away, and learn about how cultures around the world have viewed the Moon. Perfect for our youngest visitors.
- Mars Rover NISE NET Kit: Learn how scientists use robotic rovers to explore distant worlds, and experience some of the challenges and teamwork required to navigate a rover across the surface of a planet located millions of miles away.
- ROC the Eclipse: Dan Schneiderman will have a table available to inform visitors and build excitement for the 2024 Total Solar Eclipse in Rochester (Thursday & Friday only).
DON'T MISS OUR SPECIAL GUESTS:
Authors Laurie Boczar and Ann Knoll will be joining us each day of SPACE Fest to share Sky Play, a children's book that features the "constellations" coming to life as animals that take a shooting star to Earth.
Visit our friends in the Milky Way Galaxy: Zeni, Taj, Luna, Rex, Kazu, Leo, and Olive as they play among the stars. These whimsical characters are a combination of imagination and astrological personalities. Through love and respect, they learn to work together and make important choices that lead to new adventures.
*Times, dates, and prices of any activity posted to our calendars are subject to change. Please be sure to click through directly to the organization’s website to verify.